Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cheater's Creme Brulee

Pin It So my husband absolutely LOVES creme brulee.  He scans every restaurant dessert menu and tries as many as he can.  He appreciates straight forward, no added flavors, colors or decorations creme brulee.  I have made traditional versions, but I am horrified by the amount of calories and fat present in that tiny dish.  I can't enjoy a dessert if I know that the only ingredients are heavy cream, eggs and sugar.  So I decided to come up with a less fattening version.  I consider it cheating because there is no cooking or skill involved.  However, I have managed to trick my husband into thinking these were the real thing more than once.  To get the full effect you will need a pastry torch.  I found mine in a creme brulee kit at my local Target store.

Cheater's Creme Brulee
1 box vanilla instant pudding
2 cups milk
4 T white sugar

1. Whisk milk into pudding mix until smooth.
2. Divide evenly between 4 ramekins.
3. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes, until set.
4. Just before serving sprinkle 1 T of sugar evenly over the top of each ramekin.
5. Use a pastry torch to brown the sugar.
6. Allow to cool so a crispy sugar crust forms.
7. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment