Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

Pin It I've been on an instant oatmeal streak lately.  It fills me up and I like a warm breakfast on chilly mornings.  Then I stumbled upon a recipe for peanut butter banana bars on Pinterest.  I decided to try it out, but tweaked it a bit to make it healthier and tastier.  You really don't taste the peanut butter or banana.  I would describe these as a chewy chocolate chip granola bar with a hint of cinnamon.  You won't even notice the flax seed, but it adds some extra protien.  Don't let the long ingredient list scare you.  This recipe is super simple.  I don't think you can mess it up.

These bars don't last long at my house.  I snack on them throughout the day.  They are moist, tasty, healthy and very filling.  One serving keeps me full until lunch time.  Enjoy!

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup egg substitute (or 1 large egg)
2/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chocolate chips**
1/3 cup chopped pecans**

**optional - or add your favorite mix -in - raisins, cranberries, walnuts...the list goes on and on

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl mix bananas, egg, milk, vanilla, sugar and peanut butter.
3. Add oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Mix until well combined.
4. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
5. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 pan.  Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. So perfect! Having a breakfast to eat on the go is the easiest way to go! :) Thanks for sharing on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you this friday! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete