Recipe shared at Strut Your Stuff Saturday and Weekend Potluck.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Original recipe from King Arthur Flour
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream, buttermilk, or yogurt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour1 cup whole wheat flour **or omit and use 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder2 teaspoons instant coffee granules **optional
3 cups shredded zucchini (about one 10" zucchini) * I used the shredder blade on my food processor
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
3. Beat in the eggs.
4.Stir in the sour cream, buttermilk, or yogurt alternately with the flour.
5..Add the cocoa and espresso powder, mixing until smooth.
6. Fold in the zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into greased 9x13 pan.
7. Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top springs back when touched.
8. To ice the cake: Slide the cake out of the oven, sprinkle it evenly with the 1 cup chocolate chips, and return it to the oven for 5 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven, and use a cake spatula or rubber spatula to spread the chocolate chips into a smooth glaze. Cool on a rack.