Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chocolate Bread Pudding

Pin It I was always a bit leery of bread pudding.  It just didn't sound appetizing to me.  My friend, Megan, convinced me to try it while we were out for a girls' night.  It was phenomenal!  I would describe it as a warm, moist cake drenched in caramel sauce.  What's not to like.  I realized that I had been missing out on a culinary gem for years.  So when I stumbled across a recipe for chocolate bread pudding I knew I had to try it.  This bread pudding turns out so moist that an additional sauce is not required.  The melted chocolate acts as the sauce.


Chocolate Bread Pudding (makes 2 individual servings, can easily be doubled to fit your crowd)
adapted from www.skinnytaste.com

4 Hawaiian rolls, crusts removed, cubed
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
 2 T sugar
1 1/2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz. chopped chocolate bar (I used milk chocolate, but any variety will work)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place cubed bread on baking sheet.  Bake 5-10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Combine milk, egg, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla in a medium bowl.  Toss in bread cubes until coated with milk mixture.
3. Spray 2 small ramekins with cooking spray.  Fill each ramekin half way with bread mixture.  Sprinkle with half of chocolate pieces.  Cover with remaining bread mixture.  Top with chopped chocolate.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees.
6. Place ramekins in an 8 inch baking dish.  Add 1 inch of hot water to the dish.
7. Bake for 35 minutes or until set.  Serve with a scoop of ice cream or whipped topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment