Pin It Having grown up in St. Louis my whole life I just assumed that everyone knows about toasted ravioli, frozen custard and gooey butter cake. Apparently I'm wrong. If you have never experienced a gooey butter cake you are missing out. But the good news is you don't have to travel to St. Louis to taste this delectable treat. You also only need 5 ingredients!!!! This is definitely going to be my go-to dessert for summer gatherings this year.
St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs, divided
1 stick butter, melted
1 8oz. package cream cheese, softened (I used reduced fat)
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix cake mix, butter and 1 egg. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
3. In a bowl combine cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
4. Pour over cake mix crust and bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cooled.