Thursday, May 31, 2012

Whole Wheat Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

Pin It I'm trying to be healthier.  Now these bars are not overly healthy by any means, but they are a healthier version of my original Chocolate Oatmeal Bars.  I made a few substitutions, using whole wheat flower, adding flaxseed and using applesauce in place of some of the butter.  I also made these for an 8x8 pan because Albert is not on the healthy train and I didn't want to eat an entire 9 x13 pan by myself.  The only major difference that I noticed was that the crust mixture  was not as crumbly as the orignal so I had to crumble it myself to make the topping.  Taste wise these are identical to the orignals.  I will be making this version from now on because no one will ever know that I tried to sneak something healthy into them. 


Whole Wheat Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats (I used instant)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 cup chocolate chips
7 oz. sweetened condensed milk (1/2 of 14oz can, or 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp) (I used a glass measuring cup with ounce marks to measure mine.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream butter, applesauce and sugar.  Add oats, flax and flour and blend until well mixed.
3. Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 pan.
4. Pour sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips in a microwave safe dish.  Microwave on high for 1 minute stirring after 30 seconds, until all chips are melted.
5. Pour chocolate mixture over crust.
6. crumble remaining crust mixture on top of chocolate.  Feel free to sprinkle some extra oatmeal or brown sugar on top if you have trouble covering all of the chocolate.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment