Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

Pin It This is one of those desserts that my mom made for us all the time as kids.  I probably haven't thought about them in 10 years.  I was cleaning my basement and came across a photocopied cookbook.  As soon as I saw the cover, I knew this was the cookbook that contained the recipe for chocolate oatmeal bars.  There are other awesome recipes, but this is the one that stuck in my mind.  Luckily I had all of the ingredients so I could quickly whip up a batch of these.  Hopefully your family will enjoy them as much as mine :)


Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
3/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Cream butter, sugar and salt.  Blend in flour and oats until particles are fine.
3. Press 2/3 of the mixture in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.
4. In a microwave safe bowl (I used a glass measuring cup) pour sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips.  Microwave on high 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
5. Pour over the crust and spread evenly to the edges.
6. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over chocolate and lightly press down.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment