Pin It I'm a big fan of tomato based soups, however, Albert LOVES creamy soups. I try to stay away because they are so bad for you. But today was a snow day and I had all of the ingredients on hand, so Albrt wins and gets his beloved clam chowder. This was my first attempt at clam chowder andI have to say it turned out quite delicious. Definitely warms you upon a chilly winter day. This recipe serves 4 (since there are only 2 of us here), but you could easily double or triple for a crowd.
2 cans chopped clams
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
3 T plus 1 T of butter, divided
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half and half
3/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1. Melt 1 T of butter in a large pot. Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until just starting to brown.
2. Add potatoes to the pot and juice from both cans of clams. Add water to cover vegetables and cook until tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pot melt 3 T of butter. When butteris compltely melted whisk in flour. Allow flour to cook for 3-5 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
4. Whisk in half an half and continue to whisk until thick and smooth.
5. Add cream mixture to the vegetables. Stir to combine. Heat through, but do not boil.
6. Stir in clams just before serving and heat through. (You don't want to clams to overcook and get chewy).