Monday, January 23, 2012

Black and Blue Breakfast Cake

Pin It
I love breakfast foods.  I would eat them for every meal if it was acceptable.  I absolutely love Starbucks, but have to limit myself due to a lack of unlimited funds.  Thier blueberry muffins are my favorite treat.  I stumbled upon this recipe in the St. Louis Post Dispatch a while ago and it claimed that it tastes just like Starbucks coffee cake.  I do have to say it is the closest I have found.  I tweaked it a bit and now this is one of my favorite breakfasts.  You can make a whole pan for about the price of one muffin at Starbucks, which makes it taste even better :)

Black and Blue Breakfast Cake
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
3 Tbsp yogurt (plain or vanilla - I used Boston cream pie because I had it on hand)
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup blackberries, cut into pieces
2/3 cup blueberries

Topping
3 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp groung nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until well blended.  Add vanilla, lemon zest and yogurt and mix.
3. Sift flour, baking poowder and salt together.  Add four mixture and milk alternately to the batter, ending with the flour mixture.  Mix well.
4. Spread batter in a greased 8 inch square pan.
5. Sprinkle berries on top of batter.
6. Mix topping ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork until it forms crumbs.  SPrinkle on top of berries.
7. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Optional-make a glaze of powdered sugar and milk to drizzle on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment