Pin It I once again had over ripe bananas on my counter and this time Albert actually came to the rescue with a use for them. He had to go into work early and told his coworkers that I would make them breakfast. He specifically requested banana nut bread because he knew a few of the guys really liked it. Luckily he wasn't home when I actually made this loaf because I made a healthy version. The real test was if the guys noticed anything was amiss and I'm happy to report that I got several rave reviews from the men and no mention of it tasting healthy.
Whole Wheat Banana Nut Bread
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour**
1/2 cup whole wheat flour **note-you can up the amount of wheat flour, just make sure you have 2 cups of flour total
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp skim milk
1/2 cup pecans
pecans and brown sugar for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl beat sugar, applesauce and oil. Add egg substitute and mix to combine. Add mashed bananas and vanilla and mix until well combined.
3. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, starting and ending with dry mixture. Mix until just combined. Stir in pecans.
4. Pour ino a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan. Sprinkle brown sugar an pecans on top, pressing down gently.
5. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
6. Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then let cool on a wire rack completely before cutting and serving.
**Hint- If you plan on having this for breakfast, make the loaf right before you go to bed and let it cool overnight. You will have a delicious treat waiting for you in the morning :)